Who may apply?
You may apply for admission to the MACIS programme if you have completed the following with a good/very good performance:
- BA, BSc (180 ECTS) or equivalent first degree at an internationally recognized university
- Disciplines: Political Science, Public Policy, Economics, Sociology, Psychology, Humanities, Business Studies, Law
Specific course requirements
You must have completed substantial course work (20 ECTS) in the following fields:
- at least 8 ECTS in Methods and Statistics (including linear regression), completed with a good/very good performance
- at least 12 ECTS in the areas of International Relations and Comparative Politics. A maximum of 6 ECTS may be substituted by courses in related areas such as Political Economy, Political Sociology, Political Geography, Political Psychology and Public Policy, completed with a good/very good performance.
How do we select our students?
Please note that fulfillment of the formal requirements does not guarantee admission to the programme. Only applicants with a very good performance in their first degree will be considered.
What to submit?
In addition to the ETH Master online application the following specific documents must be submitted (please take heed of the application deadline):
- Letter of motivation indicating your motivation and goals for the MACIS programme (no restriction of length)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Two academic letters of reference by university professors (postdocs possible) - at least one of them by a professor from your degree-granting institution. Letters must be submitted by the referees online. When completing the online application form you will be asked to provide the details of your referees, including their email addresses. A request will be sent to your referees directly. Important: Make sure your referees use this template vertical_align_bottomDownload writable template (PDF, 236 KB)
- Proof of English Level C1 NOTE: Certificates must be submitted by the application deadline at the latest Read more
- GRE: The submission of the call_made test is not compulsory. It is, however, strongly recommended for international students graduating from non-Bologna universities. GRE
- Additional information, e.g. publications, awards or internships may be submitted on a voluntary basis.
Application timeline Fall 2023 intake
MACIS accepts applications for the academic Fall semester only.
First Application Period (international applications/Swiss applications and ESOP applicants)
1 November - 15 December 2022
Second Application Period (only for applications with a Bachelor's degree from a Swiss university)
1 April - 30 April 2023